Home / News / Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon Hanged on his 53rd birthday in Nagpur Jail

Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon Hanged on his 53rd birthday in Nagpur Jail

In a reiteration of his earlier order passed on Wednesday, the Supreme Court late Wednesday night rejected the latest attempt Memon lawyers to stop his execution for 14 days. After a long night of last-minute attempt by his lawyers to stop the execution and the Supreme Court rejected his request, Mumbai serial blasts condemn Yakub Memon was hanged to death amid high security Central Jail Nagpur to 6.35 am at his 53th birthday hanging Thursday.The any operation was witnessed by a magistrate and recorded video, according to the rules. In a reiteration of his earlier order passed on Wednesday, the Supreme Court early Thursday rejected the latest attempt Memon lawyers to stop his execution for 14 days. Memon had challenged the rejection of his appeal for clemency by the President. “Stay the death sentence would be a travesty of justice. The reason is ruled out,” the judge said Dipak Misra, head of a bench of three judges, in an order in the Court Room 4, which was opened to a unprecedented hearing started 90 minutes to 3.20 am and ended shortly before dawn. Indiatoday

Yakub was convicted of involvement in the March 12, 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai that killed 257 people. He was sentenced to death by a special TADA court in 2007 and spent more than 21 years in prison.
After hearing the dawn unprecedented Supreme Court The denouement came after the events of fast-paced, set Wednesday, when the Supreme Court had upheld the death sentence, and President Pranab Mukherjee, and the Governor of Maharashtra Ch Vidyasagar Rao reject clemency Memon. Late in the evening, Memon’s lawyers changed their strategy and rushed to the residence of the Chief Justice of India HL Dattu and asked him for an urgent hearing to remain hanging on the floor to 14 days It should be given to convicted death row inmates to challenge the refusal to allow and for other purposes. Read also: The Conspiracy unravels After consultations, the CJI is the same bank of three judges who had previously decided on the theme death sentence to go to the late night prayer. Senior lawyer Anand Grover and Yug Chowdhury said authorities were engaged in implementing Memon without giving him the right to challenge the rejection of his appeal for clemency by the President. Grover said a condemned convict is entitled to a stay of 14 days after the rejection of his request for mercy.
Opposing the plea of ​​Memon, the Attorney General said Mukul Rohatgi new source of Memon amounts to abuse the system. “A death sentence confirmed only 10 days ago by three judges can not be broken,” he said, adding that any attempt seemed to prolong their stay in jail and get switched convicted. 1993 blasts case: the arrest of Yakub Memon, revelations reconfirm active role played by Pakistan Yakub Memon family reached Nagpur on Wednesday night, shortly after President Pranab Mukherjee rejected his request for mercy. His wife and his brother spent the long night in the Hotel Dwarka in the city as they followed events in the Supreme Court. The sources said that the Maharashtra government has allowed the family to claim the body of Memon once the autopsy of the body is finished by medical authorities.

Watch Video

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons